One of the claims being made by Vatican apologists is that the Church has changed it's way when it comes to reporting and dealing with abuse claims. I maintain that these policy changes are only as effective as the person in charge chooses them to be. There are numerous cases which have come to light in the US where the Dallas Charter was not followed--purposely.
Anyone who thinks paper policies are going to meaningfully and consistently address clerical abuse is naive, too trusting in 'goodness'. The following case, which made headlines in 2007, is illustrative of the fallacy of thinking anything is going to change in Catholicism if there isn't a radical restructuring of authority structures.
Papers: Jesuits Were Warned About Abusive Priest
by Barbara Bradley Hagerty NPR March 29, 2007
by Barbara Bradley Hagerty NPR March 29, 2007
Father Donald McGuire sexually abused two teenaged boys in the 1960s. That much is public record: He was convicted in a criminal trial last year.
As recently as nine weeks ago, Jesuit leaders insisted that they had no knowledge of any other abuse by the renowned priest. But documents show that over the past 38 years, Jesuit leaders were alerted many times about McGuire's behavior — even as criminal and civil cases were under way. That raises the question: What happened to those records?
"They either destroyed documents relevant to criminal activity, or they lied," said Marc Pearlman, an attorney for several plaintiffs.
Pearlman has obtained copies of 25 documents from families of alleged victims, which he gave to NPR. They indicate that McGuire had sexual relationships with at least seven teenage boys between 1969 and 2004 (three others have since been identified). The documents include letters from family members to top Jesuit leaders, as well as letters from Jesuit leaders discussing the problem. Pearlman said because the Jesuits failed to act after the first report, a sexual predator had free access to young men for nearly 40 years.
Edward Schmidt, the provincial, or leader, of the Jesuits in Chicago, said they were not protecting McGuire.
"We were treating him as a member of the Jesuit order," he said in a phone interview. "We were proceeding as though he were a good person, you know, until we became aware of some of these issues that have now become public. Were we trying to protect him from authorities? Not in any way." (Interesting how these officials are never aware of anything until the anti Catholic media conspiracy and their greeedy lawyer accomplices, publically inform them of material these guys suddenly find they've had all along.)
First Signs of Trouble
Until very recently, Donald McGuire was one of the most prominent Jesuits of his day. In 1983, he became the spiritual director of Mother Teresa's organization and her confessor. He led Ignatian retreats, calling people to an intimate relationship with God. (This is about the same time that another Chicago priest is up to his ears in the Vatican Bank scandal--Bishop Marcinkus. Some of the money which appears to still be unaccounted for is that of one of the largest depositors in the bank----Mother Theresa's order. Maybe she was getting financial advice in confession.)
As he traveled the world, McGuire often brought a teenage boy with him as an intern, and devout Catholic families jumped at the privilege.
The first signs of trouble surfaced in 1969, in a case that would eventually result in McGuire's criminal conviction. A 14-year old freshman at Loyola Academy, a high school near Chicago, met Father McGuire when the young priest was assigned to be his counselor. McGuire soon persuaded the teenager and his father to let him board at the school. McGuire said the boy would sleep in a nearby room. But McGuire immediately moved the boy to his own room and "then the abuse turned physical," according to the victim, now 51 years old.
"There's only one bed inside the room, so sleeping quarters were to sleep in the same bed together," the man said in a phone interview.
As recently as 2005, the Jesuits said they had no knowledge of this. But documents suggest they did. The boy had told his parish priest about the abuse. The priest wrote the Jesuits running the school in November 1969, and Pearlman has a copy of that letter. The said the Jesuits told him they would take care of McGuire. They put McGuire on sabbatical, and he did not return to the school. But three years later, the then-teenager realized they had not done enough.
"I was walking down one of the lanes at Loyola University," he told NPR, "and ran smack dab into Father McGuire toting a little boy with him, in the ages of like 13 to 14 years old."
Documents show that McGuire had a pattern: He would persuade a family to let their teenage son intern with him, and quickly move the boy into his room. And then, according an alleged victim who asked that his name not be used, McGuire would give the boy a sexual education, using the sacred rite of confession.
"We underwent something called a 'general confession,' whereby you just lay out your sins," the alleged victim, a young man, told NPR. "And the priest will help you, talk you through it, maybe give you some guidelines for the future. And his guidelines were to teach me about sex."
He says the guidelines included naked showers, massage and pornography. Between 1999 and 2002, the young man says he traveled with McGuire every summer, Easter and Christmas, and lived with him at Canisius House, a residence with other Jesuit priests. He said he cannot understand how they did not catch on that a teenager was living with a priest.
"How could they not know? I was in his room almost all the time," the young man said. "The food was being brought in. His secretary would drop me off. How could you not know?"
Father Edward Schmidt, the provincial since 2003, says it's an excellent question.
"I can see why the public would wonder about that," he says. "But Donald McGuire just had his own way of doing things. He could sneak people around late at night. It does seem very difficult, but I can believe that no other Jesuit knew about it. Other Jesuits would have been outraged if they had known that. If anybody had seen that going on, known that was going on, he would have been denounced immediately." (If this wasn't so sick, so pathetic, it would be funny.)
In the summer of 2003, the man who was abused in the 1960s and Vic Bender, another man who was abused by the young priest around the same time, sued McGuire and the Jesuits. That suit led to a criminal case against the priest — not in Illinois, where the statute of limitations has run out, but in Wisconsin, where McGuire had taken the two teenagers, separately, on weekend trips. The district attorney there told NPR that he could not subpoena documents across state lines. He asked the Jesuits if they had records that would indicate McGuire had abused any boys since the late 1960s. He said, "I naively relied on their goodness."
The Jesuits said they had nothing.
"The statement by the Jesuits by the DA in Wisconsin — there's no other way to characterize it but a bald-faced lie," says attorney Marc Pearlman. "We now have the documents that show they had a great deal of material." (Moral of the story seems to be don't rely on people's 'goodness'. Not if you are an attorney, not if you are a Jesuit, and especially not if you are a parent or a child.)
Pearlman said that one family wrote to Jesuit leaders in October 2000, asking them to investigate concerns they had about their son being forced to sleep on the same bed with the McGuire.
"And the Jesuits wrote back to them that, initially, 'We're looking into it,'" Pearlman said. "But pretty much for the next three years, [the Jesuits] told them that how they're investigating and what they're doing is none of their business," Pearlman said.
Or, as the Jesuit handling the case wrote, "We would hope that you would trust us to act appropriately." (Oh here we are again--just trust our goodness.)
Letters go back and forth until 2003, when the first civil lawsuit was filed. Eventually, McGuire was convicted of sexual assault. He has been sentenced to seven years in prison and is out pending appeal. (At this point the Dallas Charter is supposed to be in effect--but maybe the Jesuits in Chicago never got the memo--or they lost it like everything else that pertained to this case.)
Provincial Edward Schmidt admits the Jesuits missed red flags.
"As I look back, in hindsight, there are lots of things we should have done differently," he says. "The fact of the matter is, we're dealing with someone who does his own thing. We had directives in place. We could have been stronger in managing him, but we were not. I wish we had been."
What about those documents, and Pearlman's allegations that the Jesuits lied or destroyed them? Schmidt says it's a mystery. The Jesuits recently hired a former FBI agent, Kathleen McChesney, to scour McGuire's files. The agent told NPR she has already found allegations going back to 1993. (Well golly, there still is some mystery and mysticism in Catholicism.)
As for McGuire, he remains a priest but cannot perform priestly duties. On Thursday, a Wisconsin judge will hear his motion for a new criminal trial. In a brief phone conversation, McGuire said he's "very hopeful" about the outcome.
McGuire's conviction in Wisconsin was upheld, and then he was further sentenced to 25 years in Federal prison from another criminal trial which ended in February of 09. There are still other charges waiting prosecution from a case in Arizona.
In the meantime The Friends of Fr. McGuire are appealing for donations to enable multiple appeals. They believe: "that this effort goes beyond the personal case of Fr. McGuire. It is clear that the consequences of these suits constitute a direct assault on the priesthood of the Catholic Church and the kind of personal relationships that are essential for priests to have with people in their ministries. Your contribution to this cause is, therefore, an action in the defense of the priesthood and its tasks."
Seems there are conspiracy theories everywhere.
So much of this stuff is floating around. And so much more evidence coming to light - or being made public again - which makes it nearly impossible to believe the protestations of innocence with regard to a cover-up. After all, the abusers also claimed innocence! Most convicted criminals in jails claim to be innocent too.ReplyDelete
The drumbeat continues....
As new evidence of abuse, cover-ups and simple inaction continues to mount up around the world, it seems impossible to come up with anything fresh to say. For anybody not in outright denial, the fundamental problem seems clear: a church culture that has allowed a self-electing and self- perpetuating cabal to exercise total control over the entire church, entirely free from any accountability to the members of the church, or to secular authority.ReplyDelete
I now believe that instead of simply looking for sensible comment, we need to go further: we need to look for ways to force accountability. We need to demand from police authorities and politicians that they should aggressively investigate and pursue all allegations in their areas of jurisdiction; and we need to force some democratisation of the church.
This will obviously not be easy, nor will it be quick, but no authority can continue to govern indefinitely withouth the consent of the governed. The present rulers of the church have clearly lost that consent: we must make that clear to them at every opportunity.
The "Friends of Father McGuire"ReplyDelete
TRANSLATED = Friends of the Devil
More evidence - Another link:ReplyDelete
I can't help but comment on the three Sisters in the picture who joyously hold hands with Fr. Filth himself and they represent -ReplyDelete
'Hear no Evil, See No Evil, Speak No Evil' - enabling evil priests who molest children, enabling the rot and filth in Our Father's House.
So much for their conscience formation in the RCC and their Order. The filth and scandal of dirty money and dirty priests can really only go on so far and for so long under the current leadership and under the filthy carpet before real Christians really see the evil here. The sisters here have not met or seen the victims of Fr. Filth, nor have they heard their cries, nor do they speak up to defend the victims of sexual abuse. That is the crime upon the crime here.
We need to make whips of cords and drive them out of Our Father's House. The whip of cords shall be the Truth, not excuses and lies and cover-ups.
This is so hard to believe. The guy had kids sleep in his room with only one bed and nobody knew it? Yeah, right!ReplyDelete